Sunday 21 June 2015

What 400 days on the road taught me

Having spent more than 400 days on the road, I am finally back in the comfort of my own home in Sydney, enjoying some much needed downtime, free of worries. Hence, I have been reflecting on my journey over the past year. From meeting new friends along the way to gaining new life experiences. These are the things that I have learnt:

The Misconception that Travelling is Expensive

Of the many people and friends I talk to, this is probably the most common topic that comes up time and time again. I often come across the question  "How can you afford to travel for so long?" and "Oh you must have saved a lot?". Although YES, this is often the case, the opposite is also possible. One can explore the world on a shoestring budget.

When I first planned this adventure, I was of the same mindset. However, once I started to budget properly, I soon realised you don't need a whole lot of money. It all depends on how you choose to travel. I have learnt many things along the way from fellow travellers. In one case, I met a guy who managed to travel on a budget of USD$10 a day!

Sure, while one can spend $200 a night indulging in 5 star luxury, on the other end of the scale one can also find a hostel bed in Cambodia for USD$2 per night. In Laos, you can get your own waterfront bungalow on the Mekong for USD$4-5 a night!
My own piece of the Mekong in Southern Laos for $5 a night!
For those on a shoestring budget, there are options available when money becomes tight. Such examples are:

1. Couchsurfing - This website allows you to connect with a host who may provide a free bed/couch for your stay or simply provide you with some company and invaluable local knowledge. This offers a great way to get off the beaten track to meet the locals and actually observe life beyond the tourist attractions! I found myself doing this a fair bit in Iran!
My host Reza(left) in Tehran, 2 other fellow Iranians and a Chinese working in Tehran on a weekly hiking/cleaning event in Darband to the north of Tehran. Reza hosted me in Tehran for more than 1 week!
The hike led to a nice little waterhole where we stopped for a break and lunch. Best of all, didn't cost all that much!

2. Work Exchange - To cut down on cost, you can provide labour in exchange for free boarding. Websites such as WorkawayHelpX or Wwoofing are popular choices to explore this option. This is great way to stay put in one place and explore the surroundings especially in expensive countries such as Norway. I found myself in the heart of the arctic circle in Norway for 2 months seeing the Northern Lights for next to nothing! Only cost being my flights there and back! The total cost? 300 Euros for 2 months in Norway! Winning!
My humble abode for almost 2 months in the middle of a valley, 30km from Alta, Norway under the arctic circle sky which I found using Workaway.


Hitting the Traveller's Slump!

The one that even Mythbusters couldn't bust! Once you experience the traveller's slump you'll know that taking a vacation from a vacation is real thing!

While travelling may sound relaxing and fun, when you do it for extended periods you'll soon realise it's not all that relaxing. It gets BLOODY, DAMN, TIRING at times. Both mentally and physically, it takes a toll. The constant need to move between A, B, and C whilst at the back of your head you ask yourself: "where to next?". Eventually, you need to slow down and and take a break from all of it.

Coming into Turkey, I was physically and mentally exhausted. Needing a break, I was faced with the dilemma of siphoning away my travel fund for a place to settle down or to keep on travelling. For me, it meant finding work exchange which landed me in Alta Norway milking cows.
Feeding the cows after milking is done. I managed to find this using Workaway.
My own playground in the middle of the valley!
Best part of being a cow milker by day? I could be an aurora chaser by night!
Spending the long nights being an Aurora chaser. Alta, Norway.


It's all about the people you meet!

The friendly man invited me into his home with
open arms and prepared food and a traditional music
performance. Istaravshan, Tajikistan.
If you asked me what my most memorable moments were over the last year, it wasn't the magnificent UNESCO world heritage sites of Persepolis or Pammukkale but the people I met along the way. Although these sites are stunning, after seeing so many, it became harder for places to stand out. However, the people and locals I met from around the world were always able to surprise me time and time again with their friendliness, generosity and hospitality.

Of particular mention is my time in Istaravshan(Tajikistan) and Sanandaj(Iran) These were the moments in my travels which remains most vivid. Moments which I am especially fond of. I have come to realise to be happy, you don't need a whole lot of money. Even though the people I met were by no means rich, this didn't stop them from inviting me in their home and sharing what they do have.




This family were so friendly that I felt compelled to send them some photos from my time with them in the snail mail. Istaravshan, Tajikistan. 
Erfan(left) who helped me find accommodation after searching for 4 hours with no luck. He then came back during the evening to invite me to dinner with him and his friends and show me around town. He also organised a host for me to stay with at my next destination! Can't beat that for hospitality! Sanandaj, Iran.


Say Yes!

As the saying goes, "Don't accept candy from a stranger". When I first started this adventure I tended to be skeptical of overly friendly people approaching me. While I still remain cautious, I've come to appreciate the generosity and good-heartedness of the people I meet. More often than not, you meet people who are genuine and saying yes leads to the unexpected encounters.

Of my most recent adventure in Vietnam, whilst motorbiking in the Central Highland, what was supposed to be a 250km ride from Buon Ma Thuot to Da Lat turned out to be a 50km ride. A simple coffee break at Lak Lake ended with me staying with some friendly locals. What was supposed to be 1 night stay at Lak Lake turned to 3 nights of partying with my newfound friends as well as being my private tour guide!
Partying like the locals and my newfound friends on the road by the lakeside. Lak Lake, Vietnam.
My tour guide taking me to an ethnic village school in the surrounding areas of Lak Lake, Vietnam.
The waterfall unbeknown to tourist which required some bushwhacking to get to. Can't quite remember the name of the waterfall.


You Don't Need to see Everything!

One of my favorite things to do everywhere I visit
is going to see the markets! Trang, Thailand.
The desire to see everything can come at a monetary cost and when you're on a shoestring budget, it pays to be a bit more particular. While there is a tendency to cram as much as possible, especially when on a short holiday, the longer I've travel, the pickier I have become about what to see. Especially when I need to pay for it.

I've come to realise that you don't need to see everything to experience a place. Most of the time, a simple walk around town or the market is by far the most authentic experience you can get. For me, it's beyond visiting a mausoleum or museum. Best of all, it's free!
Experiencing Esfahan on the cheap(free). Around Imam
Square, Esfahan Iran.  



Slow Down!

Sometimes the moments are right in front of you. It's best to sit back, wait and enjoy the moment.
Erg Chebbi Sand Dunes, Morocco.
Next to the Japanese Bridge in Hoi An Ancient Town, Vietnam


You Start Appreciating the Simple Things in Life!

I am often asked what I miss most when living on the road. Time and time again, my answer always revolve around the basic necessity that we often take for granted;
  1. Not having to handwash my clothes. That is, having a washing machine!
  2. Having a clean shower that has running water or a showerhead that doesn't just drip water.
  3. A flushable toilet.
  4. Having my own bed!
The shower. Special feature- Boil your own hotwater.
Sarytag, Tajikistan.
Relatively luxurious toilet considering you don't need to
squad! Sarytag, Tajikistan. 
Compromising comfort to save $100. How to get comfortable for an overnight stay in Oslo Airport, Norway.  And I guess I wasn't the only one :)

Well... I guess... A hard year of travelling beats a hard year of work. :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. People who are fond of traveling different places may take help from the detailed Australia Road Map that can make your trip more easy and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an enlightening post. I have always wanted to just hit the road with my Fuji and travel across the country. Your post makes me feel like it's more within my grasp than I thought. Thanks for sharing your post and lively photos which I first discovered on Tapatalk.

    ReplyDelete